Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tutorial: Bridal Request


This was a request asked by a friend of mine who is getting married at the end of this summer. She has decided to do her own wedding makeup, and wanted a a smokey brown eye and light natural makeup for the rest of her face. Also, she has brown eyes and she wanted her eye makeup to make her brown eyes stand out. Before we get started I'm just going to share some tips with you on bridal makeup!
  • You are going to want to use long-lasting, all-day makeup products. 
  • Opt for waterproof eyeliner and mascara. 
  • Seal your makeup with a finishing spray.
  • When using primer, avoid products that have any SPF. This reflects when photographed.
  • Be careful on which and how much finishing powder you use. This can also reflect light when being photographed. 
  • Avoid using too many products with shimmer or glitter in them. Keep the shimmer to your eyeshadow and highlighting.
  • For lips, try using a lip stain with lipstick over it. if the lipstick starts to fade, you'll have the lip stain underneath to keep color on your lips.
  • You could also prime your lips, fill them with lip liner, then apply lipstick. This is the technique I show below.
  • If you are going to be doing your own bridal makeup, test it out before the big day by doing your complete look, then photographing it to see how it is going to look.

For foundation, you're going to want to start with a primer (I used Makeup Forever HD Microperfecting Primer). If you have large pores like me, you might also want to use Benefit Cosmetics POREfessional.

This is a lightweight and breathable balm that fills in your pores and softens the look of your skin.

Then use a lightweight foundation (I used Urban Decay Naked Skin Shade 4.0). Now you can apply your foundation with a buffing brush (I used Urban Decay Good Karma Optical Blurring Brush) or a beauty blender sponge. Either a buffing brush or beauty blender will give you a very airbrushed and well-blended look. Next, use a concealer any necessary areas. For me this would be under the eyes, around my nostrils, and just a few dots for extra coverage on blemishes.

Use a setting powder (I used Urban Decay Razor Sharp Finishing Powder) and buff it into your foundation with a Kabuki face brush (Mine is by E.L.F). Contour your cheeks lightly with bronzer (I used Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Bronzer).

Then lightly apply pink blush (I used Rimmel Powder Blush Tickle Me Pink) to the apples of your cheeks with a stippling brush (Mine is by E.L.F). Spray a setting spray (I used Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray) to seal your makeup in place.

For eyebrows, fill them in with a pencil one or two shades lighter than your hair color. Use light, soft strokes in the direction your hair grows to make it look natural.


Use a brow powder or eyeshadow about the same shade of the pencil and lightly apply to your brows. I like to use a soft precision brush to apply the powder.

Then clean up your brows buy using a concealer under the brow. This will create a very clean line and help hide any little hairs not quite ready to be plucked. Now we can move onto our eyes.

As always, start with an eye primer (I used Urban Decay Primer Potion). Then apply a light brown a few shades darker than your skin tone (I used  L'oreal Hip Shadow Duo Shady) all over the lid.

Using a warm brown (I used Maybelline Eyeshadow Indian Summer), blend slightly above your crease up towards your brow.

Blend out the warm brown with a vanilla (I used Urban Decay Foxy) up towards your brow.

Highlight your brow bone by using a shimmery peach (I used Urban Decay Bootycall).

Next, take a shimmery vanilla (I used Maybelline  Expertwear Eye Shadow Enchanted Forest) and pat that lightly on your lid.

Take a clean blending brush (Mine is by Urban Decay) and blend a warm dark brown (I used Coastal Scents Original 88 Palette, color is shown below) into the outer corner, bringing the color slightly up into your crease.

Line your upper and lower lash line lightly with black eyeliner. Use a sketching motion to apply lightly and build up to desired thickness.

Taking a dark purple (I used Coastal Scents Original 88 Palette, color is shown below), blend along your lower lash line. Purple is a great color to make brown eyes stand out.

Next, apply a few coats of a good waterproof mascara (I used Covergirl LashBlast).

Lastly, line your waterline with black eyeliner. For the complete look, I did add a pair of natural looking false eyelashes (I used Ardell Lashes #124 Demi Black), but completely forgot to do a close up photograph of this. Sorry about that!


For lips, we are going to start with ELF Lip Lock Pencil. This will fill the lines around your lips and prevent feathering. Also use a lip primer (I used Urban Decay Lip Primer Potion); this will lock in your lipstick for all-day wear. Then line and fill your lips in with a nude pencil (I used NK Lip Pencil in Nude). This will also help keep the color for longer.

Using a lip stick brush (Mine is by Makeup Forever), apply a warm pink lipstick (I used Revlon Lip Butter Strawberry Shortcake).
Here is the final overall look. Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

Colors used are circled in pink.

2 comments:

  1. Great Work Cynthia! I LOVE that most of these products can be found in the same AMAZING place (SEPHORA... DUH) <3

    ps. You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And absolutely! Now that I've got a Sephora near me... oh it's been nothing but trouble!

      Delete